Weekends are a bit like rainbows; they look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them. ~John Shirley
The quote above truly describes how my weekends are spent; always there is a whirlwind of activity on these two days, shopping, visits, party most importantly to clear weekend lists in short it comes and just slips out like sand in the palm of your hand.
When I look back as a kid, I and my younger sister always used to look forward to it coz that meant Mum is going to make rajma chawal and how we used to love that combination. Such were simple pleasures of life that time.
In teen years I never liked weekends, why? Because that meant no friends in those days this concept of hanging out with friends on weekend did not exist specially in small town like ours.
After I got married weekend became suddenly so dear that meant DH at home and lot of time with friends and party.
Now that kids are grown up and lot more professional and personal commitments those weekends where now roles are reversed and I have to cook something which kids look forward to. So this weekend these healthy chocolate cakes with strawberry jam for the kids. May be a slice or two for me too.. After all its weekend and don’t we all need some fun on weekends. Like Miley Cyrus says “when the working day is done, girl just wanna have fun”.
Tell me How are you planning to spend your weekend!
Recipe of the Chocolate Mocha Cake
Servings: 12 per recipe
Time : 45 minutes
- Whole wheat flour 1 cup
- Corn flour 2 tbsp
- Coffee powder (instant) 1.5 tsp
- Xanthan gum 1tsp
- Brown sugar ½ cup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder 1tsp
- Baking soda ¼ tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Skim milk 1/2 cups
- Sunflower oil ½ cup
- Eggs 2
- Vanilla extracts ½ tsp
- Separate egg whites and yolks and with the heap of electric blender whip the whites till they form soft peaks.
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl add powdered dark sugar, oil, egg yolks and ¼ cup of milk and vanilla extract mix them well till well blended.
- Now start adding dry ingredients little amount at a time till it blends and become smooth, mixture will appear little bit thick.
- Fold in egg whites with light mixing as this will provide a nice
texture to the cake. Now if you feel that mixture is still thick add
rest of the milk as well.
- Grease the baking pan with butter and dust some amaranth flour and pour the cake mixture.
- Bake at 180 C for 20-25 minutes or till toothpick inserted comes out clean.