Again one of those recipes when you don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen I don’t know why I am being lazy, when I cook something elaborate (which is very rare these days). I am in no mood to take pictures when I want to take pictures ingredients which I want are not available and grocery shopping mid week is a Herculean task as far as I am concerned may be its weather or just my mind is playing games with me. So till the time I get out of my funk, these simple and quick recipes can be my saviour, only thing which I don’t want to compromise is healthy factor .
Tomato Rice is one of those simple of rice dishes which are breeze to cook and yet can be very filling healthy and believe me one of the tastiest of meal on its own or if you want to make it elaborate serve it with accompaniments papad , pickle and a bowl of fresh yogurt on the side for comfort meal. It is one of those dishes which keep well for a while and easily portable so can be a good option for carrying in lunchbox.
Time : 20 minutes
Servings per recipe :
- Basmati Rice 1 cup
- Fresh Tomatoes Puree 1 cup
- Canola oil 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Red Chili powder 1 tsp
- Asafoetids a pinch
- Wash and soak the rice for ten mins and drain and keep aside, I have mentioned basmati rice in ingredients but here I have used saffola arise wanted to try it out ( if you want review read it here) .
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetids and curry leaves and let it pitter patter.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5-6 min.
- Add drained rice and mix it with tomatoes.
- Then add 2cups of water and salt and red chili powder/ceyane powder and mix well.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes till rice absorb all the water.I used pressure cooker so it was done in 10 minutes.